The county capital, Buzau City, was first mentioned in an official document in 1431, which stated that salesmen from Brasov were free to trade in several Wallachian towns. In the beginning Buzau City was a market town, laying at the junction of important trade routes linking Wallachia, Moldova and Transylvania.
Nowadays Buzau is an industrial and heavily modernized city but it still contains a lot of interesting buildings and landmarks.
The city is in the center of the county, 100 km north-east of Bucharest, in the South-East of Romania, taking up a total area of 81,3 km2, at the outermost curvature of the Subcarpathian foothills, at the crossroads of the three main Romanian historical provinces: Wallachia, Transylvania and Moldavia. It is entirely placed on the right bank of Buzău river, which forms its northern limit.
The city features important historical monuments of national importance, including the Vergu-Mănăilă mansion (18th century, which currently hosts the ethnography exhibit of the County Museum), the Vasile Voiculescu County Library (1914) and the Communal Palace – the most recognizable building in Buzău (the current City Hall building, 1899–1903).
Another important landmark is the Albatros Villa, currently hosting the Al. Marghiloman Cultural Center, situated in Marghiloman Park, which used to belong to Romanian politician and Prime Minister Alexandru Marghiloman, one of the most important Romanian statesmen during World World I.
Other landmarks include: Crang Park, the city’s biggest and most beautiful park and recreational area, Tineretului Park and Marghiloman Park, but also the County Museum, featuring beautiful own collections and intriguing visiting exhibitions all year round.
Buzau is easily reachable by train from Bucharest or anywhere in Romania.
You can travel throughout the city and even to its outer limits through a well-served series of bus lines, both during the day and night.
The price of the tickets varies depending on the line or the duration of the journey and may be purchased easily at kiosks in the city. With Romanian phone numbers, you can also purchase tickets via SMS. More details: http://www.transbusbuzau.ro/sms.html
We recommend using these authorized companies. Taxis are available by calling the numbers below.
BEST TAXI – +40 238 944; (+40) 0238 944; (+40) 0744 474 900; (+40) 0766 488 900; (+40) 726 150 391
AEG TAXI – + 40 238 444 944
BUCEGI TAXI – +40 238 444 953
Winmarkt Buzău – Daciei Plaza no. 1
Shopping City Buzău – B-dul Unirii nr. 232
BCR – St. Unirii nr. 207, bl. 19C-D http://www.bcr.ro
Transilvania Bank – Bvd. Unirii Bloc 13 AB, Parter http://www.bancatransilvania.ro
Raiffeisen Bank – Bvd. Nicolae Bălcescu, 2 http://www.raiffeisen.ro
ING Bank – St. Unirii, bl. O3-E9 http://www.ing.ro
Located in the south-east of Romania, Buzau County is enjoying a diverse and picturesque landscape, with sun burned plains to the east and wild mountains to the west. Buzau’s fame comes from its wine and vineyards.
Most of the county consists of hills with a sandy ground, a landscape that proved perfect for the growth of grapes and made the vineyards here famous all over Romania and even abroad. Buzau’s wines won many awards at international wine competitions.
Apart from the vineyards, there are also many rupestrian churches and monasteries in the area and some interesting natural phenomena such as the lunar landscapes of the „mud volcanoes” and the „living fires”, as well as the spectacular landscapes of the rocks named „trovanti”.
Continuing higher into the Vrancea and Buzau mountains one can enjoy some great hiking.
People visiting Buzau can enjoy unspoiled rustic places, traditional food, activities, and way of living.
Berca Mud Volcanoes
A geological and botanical preserve located near the Berca village, the mud volcanoes are a rare and beautiful sight to see. The small mud volcanoes, only a few meters high, create a strange landscape due to lack of vegetation around the cones. Vegetation is scarce because the soil is very salty and only a few plants can survive. Several of the volcanoes can be active anytime, when the gray mud at the surface is disturbed by the rising gas bubbles. A thick liquid is pushed to the surface by the gas pressure creating some miniature lava flows. The phenomenon can be observed on two separate locations near the Berca commune, the Small Mud Volcanoes (Paclele Mici) and The Big Mud Volcanoes (Paclele Mari).
Visiting the place doesn’t present a danger but we would advise not wearing sandals.
A monastery of Eastern Orthodox monks located in the Magura village, is an old and beautiful place, located in a peaceful meadow surrounded by forest. The monastery was established in 1520 when the first church was erected by the boyar (a rich land owner in feudal Romania) Dumitru Ciolanu of Buzau City. Currently there are two churches, an old one up on the hill, „St George” Church, built in 1590 and a new one, „Saints Apostles Peter and Paul”, near the entrance, built in late 19th century (1828). Inside the monastery there is a little museum which contains rare books, icons, and paintings by Gheorghe Tattarescu, as well as utensils used by the monks for arming and pottery-making.
In the surrounding forests and clearings is a scattered open-air exhibition of some 200 sculptures by young artists.
This is the ideal place for the people who want to spend their time in a peaceful environment.
Near Meledic there are 34 salt caves; the 6th cave is considered the 2nd largest salt cave in the world (1337 m) but unfortunately in order to visit one needs special equipment and experience in cave exploration.
Another interesting natural phenomenon occurring near the Lopatari village, the „Living Fire” consists of nearly a half meter flame coming out of earth.
This phenomenon is produced by the continuous emission of gases from beyond the surface.
Colți Amber Museum
Colti is a village in Buzau County, 13 kilometers away from Patarlagele town. The commune is special not only for its old houses, churches, monasteries, or its secular trees but for amber, the valuable euosmite (a fossil resin).
Amber Museum was built by the inhabitants of Colti in the ’70s and opened in June 1980. The building is like a peasant’ house, with three floors: the underground floor, the ground floor and the first floor. The ground floor consists of three rooms where is located the amber collection, crystal clusters, rocks, fossils, and tourmalines (gemstone). The yellow amber is a semiprecious stone resulted from the organic fossilization of some pine resins, tens of million years ago.
The precious collection is unique in Romania and among the fewest in the world. Between 1937 and 1948 eight amber mines were functioning in Colti, but they were closed one by one. Locals continued to seek these gemstones, very demanded in jewelry industry.
The Museum of Colti hosts a piece of amber weighing 1,785 grams, and another one of 1,500 grams, amber objects in different shades of colors, from yellow to opaque black, transparent or multiple color shades in one piece.
The museum’s collection, the second in Europe, hosts the oldest amber, dating back 60 million years. The amber from Colti is considered the world’s most famous amber color diversity, with 160 shades that researchers have discovered so far.
Amber is a common accessory for the people of Colti, who wear amber pieces as good luck charms. The amber of Colti is a protected area of national interest from 2000.
The Museum was fully restored in 2020 and now features an online tour and various online experiences for its guests.
The rupestrian settlements of Alunis
The rupestrian settlements located in the area of Alunis, Buzau County, are generally considered to have begun as ancient sites of refuge and cult in the Buzau Mountains. They are situated 6 km north-east of Alunis village and spread over an area of about 3 sq. km.
Settlements from Alunis cave in Buzau Mountains (fifth millennium BC – sec. XVIII) found the highest concentration of convents and homes in the Romanian monastic. Nearby Alunis – Nucu – Pile – rust, located in the villages Colti, Bozioru, Braesti and in localities Cozieni, Catina and Pietroasele were discovered numerous settlements cave inhabited since prehistory, others used as cells of hermits or arranged as places Christian cult.